Monday, December 22, 2008

Bills

I think another one of the hardest things in grief to deal with is the medical bills that you have to pay for a child that is no longer living. The people on the other end have NO sympathy! All I ever seem to hear is that we are not paying enough. WHAT? In this economy they should be grateful that they at least have someone paying them period, right? We happen to be lucky enough to be able to pay our bills even the ones that I wish we could just walk away from and it is not enough. The hospital worked on Kamber for about 10 min., maybe a little longer but no more than about 20 before they called it and the bill is outrageous! I am not blaming the rudeness of the people in their billing on anyone that worked so hard to save Kambers life and I truly believe that there was nothing anyone here on earth could have done to save her but, the billing department could be more kind.

Life is just hard in so many ways with out Kamber here and I wold have paid millions of dollars and have it take my whole life to pay off for the chance of someone being able to save her life. It is just hard especially when you are trying your best, being honest and paying what you can to make sure the wonderful people that really tried to save my little get paid.

We do have a family friend that is so kind to help with this hospital bill and make the payments a little more reasonable. Thanks, Brent!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Jen,
I've been following your blog for a while now from the angel blog. Yours is one I seem to always want to read because what you have to say is usually what I'm feeling. I've added you to my list of blogs--I hope that is ok.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sorry about the bills as well. We've been trying to pay of Wyatt's birth and now we have a HUGE bill for his death. It's just not right is it? There should be some kind of break for those that don't get to take their kids home with them.
I think of you often and hope you feel some peace these next few days. I will be praying for you! Know that you are not alone in missing your sweet little one.
Love,
Andrea
Wyatt's mommy

Angenette said...

I've been following your blog through Angel Children, too. I had a hard time with this issue as well and felt many of your same feelings. We were trying to get the responsible third party's insurance to pay the bills, and hospital billing dept. was hounding me like crazy. One day I reached the breaking point and yelled at the rude and condescending billing person that my son was dead, their hospital had failed to save him (though I didn't actually feel anomosity towards the ER staff that did work so dilligently), and that we were doing the best we could to pay hospital bills and funeral costs. She was silent for a few moments, then apologized, and changed the due dates on all the bills to a couple months later. I'm not recommmending this tactic, but it was nice for someone in billing to realize they needed to be a little more sensitive to the people they were billing. I hope she treated the rest of the people she had dealings with that day with a little more kindness.
I hope it helps a little that there are people who can empathize with you. I hope you are able to have a peaceful and sweet Christmas. We've found that the true meaning of Christmas shines through and makes this holiday even more special in spite of the difficulty of missing your little one during that time.
Love,
Angenette
Jacob's mom

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

Great catching up on you the last few days. You've been on my mind. I've been able to talk to crystal a little bit. Kamber's tree is darling!! So sweet.
Those dang medical bills...we're still paying off ours for my D&C too. Isn't it terrible? I can only imagine the constant reminder you have every time you open that envelope. Dangit...dangit Jen.
Your girls are dolls Jen- keep going girl. Keep going. Love you dearly.

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

Kristin Merwin is a dear friend of mine and has asked about you several times. She's amazing and cares about you so much right now. SO MUCH. You will really enjoy her.

Tanner and Shasta said...

Hey! Just saying hello, feels like we haven't seen you in while. I hope you've been able to get most of your shopping done! On Sunday Tanner told me he wanted to have all our shopping done by next weekend..... I said good idea considering Christmas is Thursday!

It seems I can't keep Kamber off my mind this week, I hope you're able to feel her so close on Thursday, I'm sure she'll be with you guys.

Kiss the girls for me, hope to see you guys soon!

"Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while but their hearts... Forever."