Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Mind Is A Powerful Thing

Last night I had a bad dream. I don't remember any pictures or necessarily any details but I have figured out what the dream was about. In my dream I was running and screaming, the exact scream I had when I found Kamber. I felt the rush of energy and panic that I felt that day. I also felt the shock and numbness that over come my body when the doctors told me that there is nothing else they can do and realizing that Kamber is really gone. I can remember the feeling of realizing that I really have no control over what happens to my children and that it doesn't matter how good of a parent you are or how much you love your child and do good things that bad things happen. There was also the realization that how much I know and believe in the plan of salvation it doesn't make all the heart ache go away and instantly mend your heart. At the end of the dream it took my breath away as I realized that Kamber has really died and yes this is my reality in my dream and when I wake. I was thankful that last night I didn't have to see the pictures along with the feelings and emotions but, as I woke I knew my mind already knew the pictures that go with the story. What a blessing it was to just feel those feelings and not have the pictures playing out at the same time as hard as it was to feel. I think that Heavenly Father knew if that had happened it would have sent my back into a spiral downward. Heavenly Father can't protect us from everything but, he can give us little tender mercies to help us stay balanced.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Those dreams are so vivid aren't they! I have had some of those myself...and then realize that our little guy is not here either. It is so hard to explain these feelings to others who aren't going through it with you. And we mother's who are dealing with this grief never wish this pain on anyone. Our Evan was a water baby like your Kamber...we never thought what would be his favorite thing to do would be what would take him away. Thanks for sharing your life.
Extra hugs your way,
Angela
(Evan from Heaven's mom)

Kami Milliron said...

Oh my heart just fell into my stomach as you described those emotions. I had some of those same feelings when they told me that Elizabeth's condition was " incompatible with life " I just felt like my whole world came down. I felt like I had totally lost all control and I couldn't fix anything anymore. And now I have come to that same realization that I cannot protect my loved ones. The Lord has a Plan and it will happen the way He has planned it to. I can't stop it. And yes, even though the Plan is glorious and we will be with our loved ones again, it doesn't make it hurt less. Not at all.

But oh the tender mercies are so sweet !

Unknown said...

Jen- I do not understand what you are going through and my heart goes out to your family- I do understand the tender mercies and I know that the Lord is watching over you thanks for sharing

Alishia said...

Every morning, I listen to the "Tender Mercy" song by Michael McLean and remind myself that they are given to us to help us through. I haven't lost a child, like you, but Bryan's MS has taken away the future we planned on.

Hold on to those tender mercies!! They are gifts sent straight to you. I hope your dreams are better tonight!

"Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while but their hearts... Forever."